Tuesday, June 13, 2017

THE MAGIC OF OFFERINGS.


A MAGICAL THOUGHT...

In Santeria the Orishas or Elemental Ancestors are very similar to the "Tuatha De Dannan" of Ireland or, the faery folk. 

The newest episode of AMERICAN GODS, inspired me to reconnect with my ancestors and elementals who have always taught me, protected me and watched over me and my family. The episode reminded me of when I was a neophyte, I used to leave offerings of bread, cookies, water, or dinner plates of food for the Ancestors outside. If we were running low on food, I'd leave three "tortillas con mantequilla" (tortillas with butter.) For them. One time my mother left four apples for Shango, and in the morning when she opened the door to collect the plate from the garden, she found one apple left in front of the door. Shango, the elemental of fire, thunder, passion and magic loves apples. His sacred number is 4. 

The Ancestors have there traditional favorite foods, fruits, symbols and objects but the power is not really in the item being offered. It's in the offering itself. An offering is only as powerful as the intent behind it. For example you yourself, would better appreciate food given in friendship and love, as opposed to being given money with strings attached to it.

The old ones, our ancestor's the elementals and the faery folk of Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit give to us without reservation but our connection to them is broken when we don't give back. 

Giving Offerings is a magical act or gesture, based on "Equivalent Exchange". We open ourselves up to openly receive life's bounties when we give openly to each other, to the spirit world, the elemental world or the dead. 

All ancient cultures knew this magical trade before it became lost in the new world. 

I think I'm going to bake some traditional Irish Soda bread for the Tuatha De Dannan this week and leave it for the faery folk. 

After all, my last name is Kennedy. 😁🍀🍞🍵

No comments: