Monday, February 17, 2014

Letter to various Federal and State Agencies regarding Unemplyment and EDD arbitrary payment witholdings...



Dear Esteemed (Various State and Federal Agencies),

I am writing this letter in the hopes that at the very least I get acknowledgement not only as a loyal democratic constituent and American citizen but also as a voice for thousands of unemployed Americans who have fallen victim to the arbitrary payment disbursement and unfair payment withholdings by the California Employment Development Department (EDD). 

I have been advised by representatives of the EDD that due to their transitioning to a new computer system, I will not be receiving my scheduled payment of unemployment benefits for the week ending in January and beginning in February due to a “computer glitch”. So, through no fault of my own I will not be receiving my benefits period. This is unacceptable since my claim has been ongoing and still is a registered accepted claim. I am not so arrogant to believe that this is a singular event and that others are not going through this very same situation which the State Assemblyman Das William’s office has indicated, when I contacted their office with my grievances. Even they seem to be unable to assist me in collecting my benefits. 

I am hoping that your office can make an inquiry not only in to my claim with EDD but that your office can make an inquiry in to all claims and complaints with the EDD. With all the arbitrary payments or non-payments of accepted claims, the fact that the unemployed cannot communicate with representatives, the amount of processing errors, payment disbursement errors, the fact that the EDD does not communicate or notify the unemployed as to the changes in benefits and the arbitrary withholdings of benefits to claims that have been accepted, the EDD is clearly in need of an oversight or an Ombudsman feature. It would behoove the federal Government to audit this agency as well. 

I have been told that the EDD is a state run Department and it is customary for all federal requests for assistance be directed to the State with regards to this department. This “passing the buck” tactic does nothing but delay or ensure that pressing issues like the ones mentioned above go unanswered and ignored. It is also condoning the continued misrepresentation and victimization of all unemployed Americans.
It is my contention that the complaints, request for inquires that are not followed through on a state level or requests that are not resolved on a state level are in fact, federal issues in lieu of the Employment Development Department (EDD) and the Labor and Work Force Development Agency (LWDA) receiving Federal funding.  Because of this, I believe that my issues and indeed, the issues of all unemployed Americans receiving unemployment benefits who are experiencing complications and going through what I am going through, falls within your purview. 

I am working part time as an In-Home supportive caregiver for my disabled mother who is a senior citizen, and need my unemployment benefits to supplement my income as I look for a full time job. Contrary to media and labor market analysis the job market is deplorable and employment positions are scarce in my area. I worked all my life and started working at the age of 12. I am not lazy. I am not a lay about nor have I ever received welfare or Government handouts. Like most unemployed Americans I enjoy working and being useful. I find that the EDD, Republicans, Congress, are inclined to stereotype us as undesirables who are lazy and this is not the case. I really hope you can help me and all others who are being overlooked and who are desperately trying to survive in this economy. I’d like an inquiry made to my EDD claim and my payment that is owed released to me. I’d like for my fellow unemployed Californian’s to be acknowledged and for the EDD to know that they are being watched so that they may act accordingly. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alberto John Kennedy

No comments: